The best six doctors anywhere
And no one can deny it
Are sunshine, water, rest, and air
Exercise and diet.
These six will gladly you attend
If only you are willing
Your mind they’ll ease
Your will they’ll mend
And charge you not a shilling.”
There is valuable advice in this nursery rhyme (quoted by Wayne Fields in What the River Knows, 1990) and the Brecon Beacons have the perfect medicine.
- The sun’s rays stretch over the hills and moutains helping to grow the grass that fattens the lambs for market.
- Plenty of water here and it comes in various forms, as rain or lakes where glacial meltwaters were once found, as rivers, streams and waterfalls around every corner of the park. Big or small the sound of water has a magically relaxing effect.
- Rest in a cosy country cottage up on the hillside or put your feet up among family and friends in a group of cottages which can be booked together or a large farmhouse with plenty of character. It is usual for visitors to arrive bearing the weight of their busy lives, once here they find this is the perfect place to relax and recharge before returning to their particular hustle and bustle.
- The air here in the park is particularly clean as demonstrated on the trunks and branches of native trees where many different types of lichen indicate air purity – so breathe deeply and fill your lungs with some of the freshest and cleanest air around.
- Exercise can be a gentle stroll along a pretty canal towpath from one village pub to the next, or it can be an ultramarathons across mountain summits or a bog-snorkelling triathlon or more traditionally a ponytrek over hillsides covered in bracken and along quiet country lanes.
- Diet, the local food speaks for itself and there are specialist producers of meat, cheese, bread, biscuits, apple juice, wine and even whisky all within the park and even more beyond. Why not try one of the farmers markets which are held monthly in many villages and towns or even book to stay and visit the Abergavenny Food Festivals, one of the biggest in Britain. There is honest food and gourmet food and everything in between here.
So now you know what to do, why not check the calendar for suitable dates and book online for a healthy break here in the Brecon Beacons National Park.